The Duke of Edinburgh Award
As the founder of the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (DofE), HRH The Duke of Edinburgh has left an incredible legacy through DofE that has had a life changing impact on generations of young people. Since its launch in 1956, DofE has helped to transform the lives of millions of young people by giving them the opportunity to take on their own challenges, pursue their own passions, discover new skills and develop personal qualities that have not only made a positive difference to their own lives but have made a difference in their community.
Woodcote High School is proud to be introducing the DofE Award in 2022. Through a DofE programme young people have fun, make friends, improve their self-esteem and build confidence. They gain essential skills and attributes for work and life such as resilience, problem-solving, team-working, communication and drive, enhancing CVs and university and job applications. Top employers recognise the work-ready skills Award holders bring to their business.
The award aims to create a world where young people can reach their full potential whatever their circumstances. The charity’s ethos is to enable every young person of every background to do their DofE and succeed, regardless of any barriers.
Students undertaking the DofE programme complete four different types of activity at Bronze level to achieve an Award:
- Volunteering: undertake service to individuals or the community. This develops compassion, commitment and the confidence to make a difference.
- Physical: improve in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities. This develops fitness, enjoyment and, depending on the activity, teamwork.
- Skills: develop practical and social skills and personal interests. This helps young people to realise their unique potential and gain greater self-esteem.
- Expedition: plan, train for, and complete an adventurous journey in the UK or abroad. This develops teamwork and leadership, and challenges young people to push themselves beyond their expectations.
Why do your DofE?
Good question! Because, from the first day to the last it’s a real adventure. Every section gives you something different.
You’ll enjoy loads of new experiences, discover talents you never thought you had, challenge yourself and meet loads of people just like you.
- achieving an Award will give you skills, confidence and a view on life that everyone is looking for, from employers to colleges and universities.
- you are getting recognised for doing things you want to do (and may even be doing already).
- you will make a difference to other people’s lives and your community, be fitter and healthier, make new friends and have memories to last you a lifetime.
Doing your DofE really does give you the skills for life and work.
For general information on the Duke of Edinburgh Award please visit www.dofe.org.
Downloads and Useful Links